24 September 2013

Friday's Top Five - Things I Did This Summer


Hello faithful readers of five,

I am a bit late in posting this, but this weekend was crazy busy. Meh, what are you going to do? 

So Joanne sends an email saying "why don't we blog about things we accomplished this summer?" My immediate response was "nothing." That isn't far from the truth. Seriously. If being lazy is an accomplishment, then I get a gold star!

But I have to come up with 5 things. Most of these are a stretch to call them accomplishments, but they are something.

5) Started a new job at the current place of employment.

I did a bit of a lateral move within my position. We are currently undergoing an "operation review." I have been through that twice with previous employers. The first resulted in in a buy-out of my position. The second employer laid me off. So when an opportunity came to secure a position that in its very nature is secure, regardless of changes, I jumped on the chance. I do like the job. It has a bit more routine, but I am using my brain a bit more too. In the big scheme of life, administrative work is not my passion, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

4) Started the medical journey of fertility treatment.

Husband and I want a baby. Things aren't really happening yet. So I started the journey of pursuing fertility options. The first part is to rule out the medical issues, so this summer, I pissed in cups, drew blood, and had my vagina probed. Apparently I have something called Uterine Adenomyosis. From what I read on Dr. Google, the bigger risk is carrying a baby to term safely. I don't know what this all means, and I will find out in November when I go to my gynecologist.

3) Hung out with friends (BBQ/fire pit/one-on-one/girls night).

It is increasingly hard to get together with all my friends, with kids and other life responsibilities in the way. But that said, I was able to attend some events and even hosted a girls night. Good fun all around.

2) Beaumaris Lake walks (and other fun walking adventures).

I definitely wanted to be more active for the obvious health benefits. This summer, I went on walks almost every day. Most of them were to Beaumaris Lake or in my neighbourhood, accompanied by my husband. We also explored different walking trails in the River Valley and at Hawrelak Park that we have never walked before. Sundays we have a new habit of going for a walk after Church, time permitting.

1) I made a major decision regarding my weight-loss journey.

I am going to save this for a separate blog, but I made a decision about the journey I am on. I had lengthy discussions with my husband, did some research, and weighed the pros and cons carefully. I am satisfied and content with my choice. I recognized that at some point, the training wheels have to come off. Again, I will go into more detail in a later blog (hopefully this week?). But know that just getting to the point of making a decision, recognizing how far I have come, and realizing how much I have learned, was eye-opening for me. The rewards are already happening.

So that's it for me. Leave in the comments what you have accomplished (or link to your own blog post if you wish!).

And hop over to the following blogs to see what my friends have accomplished:
Dani.

2 comments:

Jo said...

See -- you HAVE had an eventful summer! Well done, homie.

Looking forward to the blog post you hinted at in point #1......

Ren said...

When you go for walks, you often end up taking interesting and pretty pictures - I enjoy those.

I am interested in hearing about your decision regarding your weight-loss journey.